It's that time of year again ....

Offline Boss Man

• The Boss Man
  • Global Moderator
« on: December 05, 2007, 23:09:10 »

... when the snow falls (if your lucky) and the music plays and we all look forward to what Santa and the New Year brings.

We sit here in the luxury of our homes, surrounded by our families and friends, spend hundreds, if not thousands, of pounds on merriment that lasts a matter of weeks.

Please read the following and then contemplate ......

It was 7pm on Christmas day last year, and the city part of town was buzzing with people in good cheer. We had just popped out to see the Christmas lights without the little one, and were they splendid ? There were lots and lots of traffic and people. Everyone wanted to see the lights. We were all sitting comfortably in the warmth of the car when we came to a standstill at the lights.

Almost simultaneously we all noticed a man, in his 40’s probably, wearing a coat and woolly hat. He was arranging some cardboard boxes in a shop front. Draped over his shoulder was a beige coloured warm blanket. It was when the youngest was looking that my wife told the little one, that the man was arranging his bed with the cardboard boxes. She said, “This was life,” the little one looked on in awe. It seemed like an eternity. The traffic lights changed and we moved off slowly.

Just round the corner, only a few feet away wan another man, in his 40’s, moving slowly, carrying a refuse bag. He looked tired. It was then I thought, surely this is not what Christmas is about, you know, goodwill to all men that that kind of thing, Why in 2006, especially at Christmas, but irrespective of this time of year, why at all did these men not have roofs over their heads? It was freezing outside. Interestingly, this city could have been any major city in England and Wales, couldn’t it, but in fact it was London? Not a stones throw away was Hyde Park.

I couldn’t help but wonder why the council had not erected a tent with a sleeping area, eating area, and washing area. Surely if there was anytime to do this sort of thing it was now. They could have done something more. I thought, if sheltered housing was full in all major cities then society is not meeting the demand if men like this have to sleep outside in this cold. These men, perhaps have no traceable identity and not all-homeless people are criminals, but they are potential victims of crime and drink and even if they fell victim would they report the matter? Probably not? It’s almost as if these people don’t exist.

It would appear that perhaps these individuals are caught up in bureaucracy, such that without an identity or name they are unable to claim benefits, as they sit quietly on the periphery of society. Ours is a duty to protect life, which is our special role. I am equally certain that funding of some community and diversity based programmes could be diverted in each major city to protect the basic human rights of this silent minority. When will we ever learn as a society that community and race relation’s is not about making us feel good, it’s about getting to hard to reach the minorities, like these individuals, who perhaps have nothing.

It is only a matter of time before a missing person from years gone by may be found, injured or dead, and questions by families will be asked as to how many times we have had dealings with this person, what involvement the Council have had and what of the bureaucracy? Perhaps when we end up arresting some of these people for drunk and disorderly then maybe they might have somewhere to stay temporarily, and society makes this a police problem temporarily, but it is society that has let individual hardship get to this state. I cannot envisage in today’s day and age of modernity that we have homeless people, when finances could be easily diverted to cater for this group. And this is civilised behavior in 2006? This is anything but civilised. It’s Christmas all right, but this isn’t really what Christmas is about ... is it?

And this could be any City in England.

It's not only these people I ask you to spare a thought for, but also for the children less fortunate than our own, the men and women serving in the armed forces abroad who are away for Christmas, the elderly who sit alone in their homes, and anyone else.

This year why not do something special, off the cuff, spur of the moment, and make a difference in someone else's life ......

Finally, I would like to thank all the visitors and members for making Timesharetalk what it is, for all the help from the moderators on the site who work for nothing (except appreciation) and lets make next year a better year than this one.

Paul

Jeff

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 04:12:07 »
Those sentiments are echoed by me Paul.

The homeless issue is always brought up at Christmas, but it exists year round and is something that Governments never seem to come to grips with, maybe it's because the homeless don't vote.

A few years ago a presenter Called Dennis McCarthy, who worked on BBC Radio Nottingham, used to organise for the Nottingham homeless to have a warm bed and food on Christmas Day.

I was fortunate to be able to offer some help to Dennis for a few years and the appreciation that the homeless people (men and women) showed was humbling and I often wonde why there is no official help for the homeless.

Seeing how little was done for those less fortunate than myself, made me volunteer to work at a charity, just to see if I could make a difference, so can I appeal to anyone who has time to give. Go out and offer your time, it will make a difference, even if it is only to one person. YOU.

I live in a town that has only 72.000 people living within it's boundries, yet we still have a homeless problem, so it's not just London and the large cities that need to address this problem.

Perhaps we all need to do something about those less fortunate than us.

How about voluntering to spend some time with an elderly person who is alone this Christmas, or volunteer to work for one of the homeless charities?

The Seasons Greetings to all of you.

Val

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 16:13:22 »
I would willingly volunteer but on call and working. Hope though that others will be able to do.

Have a good everyone, some of it in the real spirit of Christmas and best wishes for the New Year.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 16:22:11 by Val »