Seasons invitation to Clowance owners

JuliaR

« on: June 27, 2008, 18:10:36 »
Have received a letter from Seasons inviting us to a reception at Clowance on 5,6,12 or 13 July.  It's aimed at "only a select number of Clowance owners" with only 20 owners (plus partner must attend) able to attend each day.  They seek "detailed feedback from you about your recent holidays at Clowance or at other Seasons destinations to enable us to continue to improve the guest experience".  They also say they would like our opinion, prior to a national launch, on "a new exciting plan we have developed for Clowance which would guarantee Clowance owners no annual management fees whatsoever", a plan open to a limited number of owners on a 1st come 1st served basis.

Being highly sceptical and of the opinion "you don't get owt for nowt" I suspect to get complete freedom from annual management fees (which are quite substantial for us), there must be some big catch involved.  May be another way to try and persuade owners to become Seasons members.  We are not likely to take up the invitation but would welcome news from other Clowance owners if they find out more.

aidan straughan

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 12:59:15 »
BELIEVE ME , STAY AS CLOWANCE AND RCI MEMBER,JOIN SEASONS AND YOUR HOLIDAYS WONT BE AS FLEXIBLE.YOUR RIGHT, YOUR DONTGET OWT FOR NOWT. WHY PAY SEASONS MORE MONEY, WHEN WE ALREADY OWN AT CLOWANCE.

Jama

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 17:15:40 »
We too have received a letter saying we are one of the selected few to go along to the presentation.  If they are seeking detailed feedback they could get that by sending out a questionnaire.  As for no annual management fees whatsoever, that is an interesting offer - somewhere along the line there will be something to pay ........ perhaps under a different guise?  We will be staying as Clowance owners and with RCI.

neil1702

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 08:12:17 »
Aidan,
I can certainly see some of the advantages of staying as a Clowance owner but I can't see that being a fixed week owner is more flexible than a floating week.
We are Seasons members and hence are linked with Interval International and we've had great hoidays both in Seasons and Interval.
Basically we have had no reason to complain and I feel you're being a bit harsh as I feel it really comes down to the old saying of horses for courses. I prefer to have a floating week so I can holiday when I like and as long as I plan far enough in advance there have never been any problems with availability; I even managed to book a week at Clowance this year in the Spring half-term week.
It is true that "you don't get 'owt for nowt" but why should anyone? None of these timeshares are charities. I prefer the saying 'you gets what you pays for'

JuliaR

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 20:27:48 »
I am a Clowance owner but not fixed week, rather RCI points, which gives us great flexibility but at the same time we are guaranteed our week in Clowance if we don't wish to exchange.  This year for our one week we got two weeks late May/early June in a fantastic 6 bed villa in an Algarve Gold Crown resort.  We have previously stayed in a Seasons resort and it was OK but in our opinion not up to the standards we have become accustomed to in RCI resorts. We've had all the sales talk about joining Seasons but with a cost of several thousand pounds to join we can't see any advantage for us, we're happy with our existing set up.  As you say, horses for courses.

neil1702

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 07:51:59 »
Thank you Julia for enlightening me!
I believe that RCI is very similar to II, in fact a lot of resorts are members of both. We too have had some great exchanges with II, mainly into Marriott resorts and other top notch resorts.
I think I would have to agree with you though, why pay more money when your system is working fine for you. To use another saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
I just get a bit wound up by people having a go at Seasons without knowledge of what Seasons offer. At the end of the day they are a business and they want to make money. If people are happy with what they have it's quite easy to say no thanks and be done with it.

owen

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 13:02:13 »
We are Clowance owners and also in RCI. Used to be quite easy to get a week at Clowance but since Seasons took over availability v limited. Any one else experiencing similar?

Offline Simoncc

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 09:15:31 »
I'm an RCI Points member and have just booked a week into Clowance - availability on the Points side of RCI still seems reasonable.

If you are suffering lack of availability in the RCI weeks system then that may be as much to do with the hidden workings of the RCI trading power system as with deposits being reduced at this stage.

Now that Clowance isn't actively promoting RCI I would expect availability via RCI to tail off as fixed week owners sell up or switch to the Seasons internal options.

aldfort

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 10:06:10 »
This invitation is targetted marketing by Season to try to get you to buy into their club. Nothing more or less.
Neil 1702 - are you a Seasons employee?

neil1702

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 08:27:53 »
No aldfort I am not a Seasons employee, just a member who's managed to get a lot of great holidays through Seasons and hence is very happy with them.
I don't feel my comments are overtly pro-Seasons as I can see the advantages to Clowance owners of staying as they are. There's always two sides to an argument and everyone can choose which way they want to go. I prefer floating weeks, other people prefer fixed. I like II, others prefer RCI. I don't have a problem with that. It's not my place to tell other people what's best for them, I just like to help people make better informed decisions.

alphabetic

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 17:37:31 »
Nearly 2 years past but Seasons are still offering the no maintenance charge deal. This reply is for all others as it must now be history for Julia.

You buy a short lease: we were offered 2 weeks over 16 years with part exchange for our Clowance week and if you agree with their calculation, it is not far from just paying up front and nothing later. They say you can then sell or take another 16 years with no extra cost and no maintenance which makes the deal seem very attractive.

However, we felt that the contract was full of holes and in particular in relation to the 2nd 16 years where they say they will enter into a new contract with you. The supporting words are pretty much there except that there are no unambiguous cross references between documents. I asked for clarification which they gave verbally but would not put into writing so I walked rapidly away. You do of course end up with nothing at the end of the 32 years whereas our Clowance week goes on until 2068.

They also assume 5% inflation to justify their figures whereas the fees are limited to RPI which the government are trying to hold at about 2.5%

I think Seasons are one of the better timeshare companies and I have had good experience with them.  They can be very helpful in all sorts of ways and have excellent customer relations. However, a contract is a contract and if it is not clear on some detail you are relying on, where do you stand if in 16 years time they say you have misunderstood something?

I am sure each deal is limited but they bring in new deals from time to time.  I am aware of the ongoing Clowance St Aubyn deal and the recent Club Tahiti deal.  The deals do simplify financial planning but I would advise to check very carefully what you are contractually entitled to for the new contract at the end of the initial term. We could have upgraded to more beds for the first term on the floating week certificate but appeared to revert to basic size for the second term.

As ever, "you have to sign here today" - Don't. Take the details away and think about it carefully to be sure it is right for you.

Offline Carolinian

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 19:13:55 »
The main reason RCI availibility is down all over the UK is that RCI rents many of the best exchange deposits to the general public and offers its members only the leftovers.

It is much better to deal with an honest exchange company like DAE or SFX.

quote:
Originally posted by Simoncc

I'm an RCI Points member and have just booked a week into Clowance - availability on the Points side of RCI still seems reasonable.

If you are suffering lack of availability in the RCI weeks system then that may be as much to do with the hidden workings of the RCI trading power system as with deposits being reduced at this stage.

Now that Clowance isn't actively promoting RCI I would expect availability via RCI to tail off as fixed week owners sell up or switch to the Seasons internal options.

Offline Simoncc

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 08:42:31 »
Only 18 months to respond to my post! [:)]

As I said Points availability is still good at this resort and yet this system allows RCI the greatest flexibility to cream off better weeks (through Points Partner tradesd etc). Downturn in availabilty therefore can't just be as a result of evil RCI practices.