Sponsored Link

RCI v DAE

Offline MBT Scotland

• View Profile
RCI v DAE
« on: May 19, 2009, 15:52:56 »
Up to now we have used RCI for our timeshare exchange, deposit etc. We have recently read about Dial and exchange in this web site and would be ghrateful for any help or advice on which is the better company.

Offline Keitht

• View Profile
RCI v DAE
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 17:40:24 »
I've been an RCI member for about 20 years and have seen availability reduce markedly, whilst membership and exchange fees have increased.  That said, I've always managed to find something acceptable when seeking exchanges through RCI.
I used DAE for the first time this year and was very pleased with them.  I did pay the £30 for Gold membership, but obviously can't say whether it made any difference as I have nothing to compare it to.
I was looking for a 2 bedroom unit in Scotland on the first weekend of the Scottish school summer holidays, so held out very little hope of actually getting anything.  DAE filled the requirement within about 3 weeks of request being made.
Other advantages of DAE over RCI are no fee for basic membership; the ability to search without first depositing; lower exchange fees and more personal service as they are a smaller operation.
Regards

Keith

Offline Carolinian

• View Profile
RCI v DAE
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 07:49:12 »
I have been very pleased with DAE.  I just got a 2BR spring Stouts Hill week through them.  Other trades I have done with DAE have included s summer UK canalboat, summer French Riviera, summer Poland coast, summer Croatia coast, holiday week Puerto Rico, early spring Cayman islands, Bali, Hawaii, and SE US coast in summer several times.

At the same time, availibility at RCI seems to be constracting steadily, probably due to their renting exchange deposits to the general public.

You can join DAE free and try them out free, as you do not have to prepay an exchange fee to make a request.  The exchange fee is only paid after they can confirm an exchange for you.  Your spacebank depoeit is also not required until they can confirm the exchange.

Offline keever

• View Profile
RCI v DAE
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 13:40:51 »
I use DAE every year now. Not only for my exchanges but also for the bonus breaks which are great without using a week up for a quick getaway. Already this year I've had 2 bonus weeks and an exchange in the Easter Holidays. I can't praise the girls in the office enough, no request is too much trouble and they get back to you straight away be it on your mobile number or landline.

Also, for those who might think the resorts may not be top notch, I took a Cameron House, Loch Lomond week with them in March that was sitting on the UK bonus weeks section. Now thats not bad for £120 :-)

Give it a go, you won't be dissapointed.

The British Empire was built on cups of tea. And if you think I'm going to war without one mate, your mistaken.

Offline daviday

• View Profile
RCI v DAE
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 12:18:20 »
The main difference between RCI and DAE is that DAE do not do like-for-like exchanges. Every week deposited has the same trading power (but see 2nd paragraph). This means that a studio in Tenerife in early December is capable of pulling a peak summer holiday, 2 or 3 bedroom unit somewhere else.  Therefore, there are a lot more out-of-season studios in obscure resorts available than big units at Marriott's or Disney.

But, if you do deposit a 2 bedroom or bigger unit in a peak holiday week (refer to their website for details) you get TWO weeks credit instead of one.  This year, my August Loch Rannoch week has pulled two weeks in 2-bedroom units in July at Macdonalds Doña Lola and Pueblo Evita, on the Costa del Sol. Really, not too bad at all!

You don't have to deposit anything with DAE to join. If you are a timeshare owner, you can join, without paying anything, if you don't want.  Even if you don't intend to use DAE for exchanges, you'll have access to the bonus weeks - some as cheap as 79 quid - for late-booking holidays.

Everything is very transparent with DAE - you can see what is available, through their website - even if you're not a member.  RCI only shows the availability after you've deposited a week.

But, if you do have an in-demand week at a high quality resort, you might find you get a better quality of exchange through RCI.  I know you do through Interval International, as I'm a member of that too.

And, if you like a points-based system, look at Redweek.com exchange, which uses a lot of DAE inventory, so it's like DAE Points. I managed to get two weeks of holidays (one last August and again this easter) in exchange for a week which wouldn't have got more than one week from DAE and has poor trading power with RCI.

Offline MBT Scotland

• View Profile
RCI v DAE
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 14:44:31 »
Thanks everyone. This has given me something to think about. I will probably join DAE as well and see what happens.

Offline Willself

• View Profile
RCI v DAE
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 15:31:43 »
MBT Scotland.

That will prove a very wise move. 1 have used DAE. over the last 5 years, and would not GO
Else where..An Excellent Exchange Experience!!

Offline Barbarian

• View Profile
RCI v DAE
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 12:01:58 »
I fully endorse all the previous comments about DAE. I used RCI for many years since we purchased our timeshare in 1989 but I became more and more disenchanted with their increasing fees, combined with a reduction in availability of exchanges. I joined DAE about 6 years ago and have been very satisfied with their service so far.  I finally cancelled my membership of RCI 3 years ago and have not regretted doing so. As daviday says, DAE are much more transparent and up front than RCI who just seem to be motivated entirely by making the maximum profit. The more timeshare owners who see the light and abandon RCI for DAE the better for all of us in my opinion.
Ian Chisholm

Offline Keitht

• View Profile
RCI v DAE
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 15:36:42 »
What geographic locations have you exchanged into with DAE?  Have you found better / poorer availability in any particular area?
Regards

Keith

Offline daviday

• View Profile
RCI v DAE
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 20:18:35 »
Personally, I've found that DAE is stronger than Interval International in choice and ease of finding an exchange in Spain.  It seems to be the reverse in the UK. On the TUG forum, it's said that DAE isn't as strong as RCI for availability in the United States, but better in Australia and South Africa.

Offline Carolinian

• View Profile
RCI v DAE
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 08:32:50 »
Some areas with DAE it is best to put in a request, because the better deposits go to ongoing requests and never make it to online availibility.  DAE also has certain trading partners and can get inventoty through them that never is online.  My trades for a UK canalboar, French Riviera, and Cayman Islands were sourced that way.

Offline daviday

• View Profile
RCI v DAE
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 11:37:33 »
You do have to be a Gold Member (30 pounds a year) to put in a request with DAE.  I do recommend it though.  It's cheaper that RCI or II and you get first chance at the deposits, as the free members have to wait a few days before they can book them.

Offline MBT Scotland

• View Profile
RCI v DAE
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 15:35:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by Keitht

What geographic locations have you exchanged into with DAE?  Have you found better / poorer availability in any particular area?

So far we have not used DAE as we have booked with RCI but had a few problems in getting what we wanted. We will try DAE next time. We have now joined them and they are very helpful
Regards
Mary (MBT Scotland)

GoogleTagged