Sponsored Link

TATOC Questions

Offline tonyc

• View Profile
TATOC Questions
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 22:28:56 »
Danny6

Sounds like a very good idea to me.  You join and then come back on this thread on 10 August 2010 and give us an honest appraisal of all the benefits you obtained from your investment.

TATOC Questions
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 22:55:37 »
Well thank you I am seriously considering it. I think the organisation seems to have some experienced people and I think if this was backed up by a large number of individual owners from across the timeshare world then it would give it a wide support based on individual owners. It seems to me that we are in need of such an organisation. If I may comment its better that we owners  find something to unite us rather than argue with each other. If anyone can suggest a better way I would be interested to hear what they have to say.

Offline tonyc

• View Profile
TATOC Questions
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 10:04:41 »
Danny6

You have obviously seen something that has eluded me.  The Timeshare Association for Timeshare Ownwers' Committees (TATOC) - or The Timeshare Association as it now prefers to be called - was established in 1989.  So, if there are any individuals who have been involved with it since its inception, I am sure you are correct in saying that they appear to have some experienced people.  But equally, one has to ask, if it has been going now for 20 years and has the backing (as the CEO states) of the EU, the Office of Fair Trading (OFT), Citizens Advice Bureaux, Trading Standards and the BBC to name a few, how come it is not that well known?  Could it possibly be because it has not really achieved that much in its first 20 years?  You talk of the need to have such an organisation as if they were something new.  They are not!

I am sure that you will have many people who will agree with you that we need an organisation that will properly "police"  the timeshare industry.  But that doesn't just mean the "sharks" that are out there looking to prey on those who are desperate to unload their timeshares.  Surely it should also mean the Timeshare Developers themselves - some of whom have proven to be less than fair in their actions with the consumers who invested in them.  Shouldn't, by now, after 20 years in the business, TATOC have reached the stage in their evolution that enables them to "start treating the cause of the condition rather than the condition itself".  Surely, "prevention is better than cure".  If the unscrupulous activities of some of the Timeshare Developers could be cleaned up, those who buy into it committing large sums of expenditure, would go in with their eyes open.  As a result, they would know what they are getting for their investment - be totally happy with their decision - and not fall prey to the "scammers" who feed on their unhappiness and fleece them when they try to sell out.  So far, all we see from TATOC is how clever they are in exposing the "scammers".  But, have they exposed them?  Haven't they actually been exposed by unsuspecting owners who have tried to unload their timeshares and then been fleeced?  Many of them post on forums like this.  All too often TATOC seem to take over when "the crime has been committed"!

TATOC Questions
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 15:28:16 »
Well your comments are obviously heart felt but perhaps a bit harsh on TATOC. I think that during the last 20 years governments of all persuasions have followed the policy of deregulation be it banks, finance or insurance so its not surprising that TATOC have found things hard going when trying to suggest improvements in timeshare regulations in the european community.  I for one was one of the many who got caught by being miss sold endowment insurance but there is a change in the air following the banking crisis and I suggest that now might be a good time for an organisation like TATOC to push for change

Offline hal540uk

• View Profile
TATOC Questions
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 21:33:18 »
Hi Danny
Thanks for you comments. If you want to give me a call on 0161 237 3611 at your convienence
I would be pleased to give you more details of our operations which go deeper than the helpline.
Best wishes
Harry
Time and tide waits for no man

GoogleTagged