Sponsored Link

Advice Please - transfering points

Offline sumloveruk

• View Profile
« on: September 20, 2009, 21:23:37 »
I need to get rid of. my points before another hefty bill arrives in January. I have had no luck giving them away and as we can't surrender them it looks like I am stuck with them.

I have had a thought of transfering the points to a family member (parents are already owners) and then letting them surrender the points as they are over 75.  Has anyone tried this route, and if so did it work?

Offline Mavo

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 13:33:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by sumloveruk

I need to get rid of. my points before another hefty bill arrives in January. I have had no luck giving them away and as we can't surrender them it looks like I am stuck with them.

I have had a thought of transfering the points to a family member (parents are already owners) and then letting them surrender the points as they are over 75.  Has anyone tried this route, and if so did it work?

The minutes of the AGM dropped on to my mat this morning and in it was confirmation of the news that other avenues of the movement on of points can now being explored.
 The constitution is now amended to allow the mechanism to set up a resale programme and thus to expand the members resale options.
I cannot see Diamond doing this without reason so we can safely assume that options are being explored. What it would be unwise to do is to speculate on any future changes. This does not mean that members cannot post ideas as to how they would like to see changes on selling practices to occur.
 We have to accept that whichever way DRI decide to do things it will not be to the liking of everybody. That is the nature of people.

Unfortunately I cannot see any changes before the new maintenance fees become payable on 1st Jan 2010, so the gamble is - do those looking to offload their points wait for new developments in the hope of a better return or do they attempt to jump now, bearing in mind that October, November and December are the worst months to try to sell on?
 **Once it gets to January the company will not allow transfers of points unless the fees are up to date.
tomeluk

Offline sumloveruk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 18:51:20 »
All fees are up to date for 2009 - I was just thinking of a way out as I no longer have use for my points, I don't want any money for them, as I have deffinately had my moneys worth of holidays over the years. As you can't hand them back, and the one of the ways out is if you are over 75, I thought transfering them to an over 75 family member and letting them hand them back next year might work?

Offline Mavo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 21:08:22 »
What happens if the transfer is accepted but then the company refuse to allow your relative to hand them back on the grounds that you are not acting within the spirit of the rules and are attempting to bend them?
 Your relative is then left with the responsibility of future fees.

I am not saying that it would happen in the above described manner.
I am just thinking things through logically.
 The resale or handback/buyback of points is something that has to be resolved in the near future as the ageing membership becomes less inclined or able to travel distances. I have said before that the UK Resorts will be difficult to book as more and more UK members wish to stay at home simply because of the discomfort and inconvenience of venturing abroad.
tomeluk

Offline sumloveruk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 13:15:53 »
Thanks for the advice, I did wonder if they would put a stop to handing them back!, just wondered if anyone had tried this route of escape?

If the relative is stuck with them, then i will pay the maintenance fee's and be no worse off.

Offline Mavo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 13:32:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by sumloveruk

Thanks for the advice, I did wonder if they would put a stop to handing them back!, just wondered if anyone had tried this route of escape?

If the relative is stuck with them, then i will pay the maintenance fee's and be no worse off.

Unfortunately we will never know as anyone handing back or selling their points would not come back on here to tell the tale.

Whilst admiring the ingenuity of the plan it is a bending of the rules so I would imagine that if it were a loophole which was being used then the company would put measures in place to plug that hole.

tomeluk

Offline sumloveruk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 13:42:04 »
Thanks for your reply. Going off the subject slightly, my parents currently own weeks (not points) do you know how the management fees are calculated using a muxture of week/points owernership.  Their MF are a lot lower than mine.

Offline Mavo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 14:07:02 »
Sorry but I have no idea on that one.
tomeluk

Offline don1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 14:50:19 »
Sumloveruk

I own both points and fixed weeks with DRI.

As a result I receive separate invoices relating to each as they cannot be put together.

Fixed week maintenance bills tend to be cheaper as they do not have the flexibility that points have

Offline sumloveruk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 19:06:42 »
Thanks

GoogleTagged