Sponsored Link

Points saving idea

Offline Jeff

• View Profile
Points saving idea
« on: December 23, 2005, 20:38:06 »
I think that one improvement that would help those members who only own a low number of points to get some value from them, is for The Former Company to up the time allowed for points to be saved from one year to three.

Club La Costa already offer this so it has to be workable.

Offline Mavo

• View Profile
Points saving idea
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 22:32:06 »
I agree Jeff and if The Former Company say that too many people saving for too long would or could overload the inventory then we can counter by accepting that only points holders below a certain level (say 50(00)) points can save for 3 years. Bearing in mind that an estimated 500 plus members have sold their point back to The Former Company in the recent buyback scheme then this should then not create any problems re availability
tomeluk

Offline boiler

• View Profile
Points saving idea
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 16:39:51 »
You lot want a lot for your money, I understand what you require as I belong to CLC and yes I can save my points over 3 years regardless of number. so I want to see CLC include a scheme where they buy back the points from their members when they want to sell. But then that would be a perfect system so it will never be implemented.

Offline daveandmaureen

• View Profile
Points saving idea
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 20:41:16 »
Hi again Boiler,

The Former Company did have a one off "buy back" scheme and a very strange one it was!

If you know what a Dutch Auction is then you will know the basis of The Former Company's trial (or as it happened, so far one-off) scheme.

You had to write to The Former Company saying how much (actually how little is nearer the truth) you were prepared to accept for the points you held. The Former Company opened all the bids and hoovered up the points starting with the cheapest (lowest) bid first and so on until the "buy back kitty" was exhausted. The Former Company thought this such a good idea that they increased the size of the kitty and I think bought back points with a kitty which had eventually doubled in size.

I know I tried at the time to find out the highest sucessful "offer" but I never did get a definitive answer. I am fairly sure those "bidding" at £30 per old point were left with their points, possinly even as low as £25.

Oh and Yes these are the same points that The Former Company Reps currently offer at £180 to £250 per point.

I think most of the above is accurate, I am sure the likes of Jeff, Mavo or Roger will correct any bits which are not spot on.

Cheers

Dave K

Offline tomkat

• View Profile
Points saving idea
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 22:09:09 »
Holders of low numbers of points can never get value from them unless they can take their holidays in low season and at short notice so that they can take advantage of Pointsaver offers.

If a holder of, say 3000 points were able to carry these forward over three years and then take a week valued at 9000 points, the cost in terms of management fees would be around £1200 - a very expensive holiday.

For somebody owning 9000 points the cost of the same holiday would only be £400.

This, of course, ignores the cost of the capital investment and the potential loss on same of the points were bought directly from The Former Company.

A 3000 point holding can give good value if used annually to book Pointsaver weeks, e.g. It would be enough for a 4 week break at Garden Lago in low season using Pointsaver, when the management cost would be only £100 per week.

Offline boiler

• View Profile
Points saving idea
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 19:20:16 »
daveandmaureen, sounds like the tippical rip off, or perhaps you meant they fed the cat extra food to arrive at a bigger kitty.

Offline boiler

• View Profile
Points saving idea
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 19:28:28 »
tomcat, I see what you are saying and your suggestion of figures is close to what I have, all I am saying is that it is convenient to have unused poits totalled on the following years, I do go every year, (with excess points used by my son and daughter)roll on 17th June up up and away to Costa del Sol. any body wishing a stick of rock back, should send me their cheque for £100-00 to arrive no later than Sat 16th, and not to leave anyone out please use you calculator to send your currency. Incidentally the rock is about 15 inches long by one inch diameter. PLEASE NO TIME WASTERS.