Sponsored Link

RCI availibility in England

Offline Carolinian

• View Profile
RCI availibility in England
« on: April 17, 2011, 15:55:52 »
Looking at supply and demand, there is nothing at all availible online with RCI for England for summer (June, July, August) for 2011, and nothing but 24 canalboats in England for summer 2012 (and most of those in June). Canalboats are fun but not what a lot of timesharers are looking for. Supply and demand say that summer England is a very difficult trade.

Owning two summer weeks myself at an English resort that itself has only one availibility (a winter week) in the entire next two years with RCI, they must think we are nuts to accept the paltry points lite values in the mid-20s they are offering for our summer weeks. That is especially true when we compare it to their points lite offerings for deposits at dime-a-dozen overbuilt Orlando!

Offline Carolinian

• View Profile
Re: RCI availibility in England
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 16:59:27 »
For comparision with the Outer Banks of North Carolina, where I also own a summer week, there are 5 summer availibilities in 2011 and 27 summer availibilities in 2012, even more if I included the entire coast of the state, and many more than that (89 summer 2011 and 174 summer 2012) if I included the entire state.

The lowest demand resort on the Outer Banks has a summer 1BR week availible at RCI for 35 points lite.

English resorts need to band together and demand fair valuation from RCI.  Perhaps this is a job for TATOC.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 17:04:41 by Carolinian »

Offline Willself

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 08:38:17 »
Carolinian.

Junk RCI..Thats a much better Solution!! While DaE. might not have wall to wall Availability in the UK

For your chosen Dates!! At least it is a much fairer System..

Offline Morpheus

• Supporting Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 09:00:06 »
Agreed - DaE is fairer and transparent. From what I can see, they clearly list not only the available exchanges but those which have been completed. This way, I think everyone is clear on overall availability.

The option of exchanging both timeshare and privately owned holiday accommodation extends the range of options too.

I just hope that more people deposit weeks and exchange through DaE so we can all benefit.

I just began the process of removing our last week from RCI to lodge with DaE (it has taken six months for me to be sure this is the best route for us - not a rush decision).
Long time member of MORPS (www.morps.org [nofollow]) the RCI Points owners group.
Experienced timesharer

If you LIKE the advice any member gives, please feel free to click the "APPLAUD" by their name and details on the left. It makes us feel valued.

Offline Simoncc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:32:13 »
Checking the DAE website shows that they also have no current availability for the UK in June, July and August.

Their website shows units that have exchanged in this period but I wonder how they determined who should get these? I joined as a Gold member in February 2010 with the specific aim of requesting a Scotland week in August 2011 - I didn't get one call or email from DAE advising that something was available.

Did I lose out to someone who put in a request earlier than 18 months before the travel date or did DAE simply match a deposit with a request that was made at the same time?

Whilst I am becoming increadingly disillusioned with RCI, I just don't see DAE as a suitable alternative for those who want to travel to areas with more limited availability during peak periods.

Offline Morpheus

• Supporting Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 10:10:21 »
As I understand it (and maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong), priority on exchanges goes to Gold members (i.e. those paying the £35 for one year or £80 for three years).

When a week is deposited:

ONE - any standing request from a Gold member is checked. I think the oldest request is prioritised, which seems as fair as any other system. If a match is found the week goes "on hold" for 24 hours to let the initial requester confirm or otherwise. If not confirmed, the next request is matched and so on (and from experience, they are very diligent at phoning to check your interest in a week that comes in that matches a request you make).

TWO - if there are no requests, the week goes online and Gold members can then book it (those are clearly tagged "Gold Advantage" on the site. This tag remains for a short period (I think one or two weeks).

THREE - if the Gold period passes without a booking, the week becomes generally available and anyone can exchange to the property.

FOUR - if the week is not booked within a short period of the date involved, it can be taken as a "Bonus Week" as well as a standard exchange.

We have found that the request thing works well - we had a request in for the Peak District this summer and got a telephone call just last week when a unit became available in the area!

As always, the key is a bit of planning, but being able to say something like "I want an exchange in England between April and October" will get more hits than "I want to go to xx or yy resort on 15th July". But the ability to be very open on regions and dates is more flexible than the RCI system.

So far we have found that DaE are very good at doing what they claim. And cost far less.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 10:34:21 by Morpheus »
Long time member of MORPS (www.morps.org [nofollow]) the RCI Points owners group.
Experienced timesharer

If you LIKE the advice any member gives, please feel free to click the "APPLAUD" by their name and details on the left. It makes us feel valued.

Offline Willself

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 10:19:00 »
Absolutely Morpheus.

Having been in the 1ndustry and sold RCI..1 know where 1 would place my loyalties!!

Now in our 10th.Year with DaE.....say no more!! :P

Offline Simoncc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 08:59:55 »
As I understand it (and maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong), priority on exchanges goes to Gold members (i.e. those paying the £35 for one year or £80 for three years).

When a week is deposited:

ONE - any standing request from a Gold member is checked. I think the oldest request is prioritised, which seems as fair as any other system. If a match is found the week goes "on hold" for 24 hours to let the initial requester confirm or otherwise. If not confirmed, the next request is matched and so on (and from experience, they are very diligent at phoning to check your interest in a week that comes in that matches a request you make).

That is exactly what I did. I joined as a Gold member in February 2010 and made a request for a Scotland 2 bed unit in late August 2011. Yes, this is a short window but we are tied to school holidays.

The fact that we have not been offered anything by DAE means one of the following:
Thay have availability in Scotland during the summer school holidays.
Availability is poor and someone requested a week earlier than 18 months out.
Their systems aren't efficient and we were missed off the list.

Whichever it is, I am just not convinced that DAE is suitable for an owner who wants to be able to plan a summer vacation some time in advance. This increasingly applies to RCI as well although they did manage it this year - albeit with less choice than previously.

Offline Willself

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 08:42:19 »
Simoncc.

Sorry, you never achieved your exchange with DaE..you appreciate that, Summer -Time..is always difficult

regardless of where you wish to Holiday! and by sheer volume of members..RCI. may just pip the post

in this area.

Offline Carolinian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 09:39:31 »
Simoncc.

Sorry, you never achieved your exchange with DaE..you appreciate that, Summer -Time..is always difficult

regardless of where you wish to Holiday! and by sheer volume of members..RCI. may just pip the post

in this area.

I have done quite well with DAE in summer - England (several), French Riviera, Ireland, Croatia coast, Poland coast, Hawaii, Caribbean.

Offline eneri

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 09:57:19 »
Simoncc

Just had a thought. Had you not been involved in Timeshare you could have booked into your chosen resort in Scotland directly. After all, had you given them eighteen months notice I'm sure they would have been able to accommodate you.

Offline Simoncc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 14:44:00 »
Hi Eneri,

Yes, if we wanted to holiday outside the timeshare system then we could have booked directly with a resort but as the owner of several timeshare weeks I always try and use the exchange system first. In this instance, we managed to get a suitable week with RCI but I wanted to give DAE first shot at trying to meet our requirements.

In future, our best option may be to look at renting out our own weeks and using the money gained to pay for our holidays.