Sponsored Link

Disabled?

Disabled?
« on: February 03, 2006, 15:15:29 »
OK, I'll admit it. I am over 39 and on oxygen but traveling is still possible.  The doctor said have fun and keep going! If anyone is out there who needs help, send me an e-mail and keep going!

I went to the USVI in November with oxygen on the plane plus a company who delivered anything I needed to the timeshare condo.  A cargo lift put me on the plane.

At Orlando and Cape Canaveral in December a company delivered and there were wheelchairs at every attraction. Hawaii in March. All you need is someone to push the wheelchair.

Take family or friends. That is what timeshares are for. Sharing! Good luck.

Offline Jackiee

• View Profile
Disabled?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 16:02:40 »
Good for you Tetta.  Your sentiments should be the goal for us all.[^]
Jackie

Offline wiljar

• View Profile
Disabled?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 17:41:59 »
Tetta,
Being Scots, I hate to say it, but Edinburgh Airport is not equipped to deal with disabled people.  If your plane has an airbridge, fine, otherwise it is wheelchair push across the tarmac and climb the steps to the plane.  We travel regularly to visit family in the Channel Islands and Jersey has a lift for disabled passengers.  Shame on Edinburgh though I must say the attendants are marvellous and most helpful.  The service in the States for disabled is great.

Offline Boss Man

• The Boss Man
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Disabled?
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 18:57:26 »
Tetta,

Did the airline have any problems with you taking your own bottle on board ? Normally they do and say that you must use one of theirs.

Or maybe this is just in the UK ??

Disabled?
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 15:59:50 »
I borrowed a portable oxygen concentrator that plugs into a cigarette lighter in a car or a wall plug.  The FAA and several airlines have now approved them for carryons unplugged because they are then simply an empty plastic box basically.  On the plane you can only use airline oxygen. The concentrators get you through the airports and a car trip plus plug it in at hotels or timeshares.  The Lincare Company has them.  But check and arrange them in advance, of course.  They are lightweight and I put mine in a small carryon with rollers and just pull it behind me or on my lap in a wheelchair.  Oxygen is provided up to a 6, which is a lot of oxygen, and they have a residual that lasts up to 30 minutes.
     Wiljar, I am of Scots ancestry and accused of being a little stubborn at times.  How about writing and encouraging Edinburgh to help the disabled?

Offline Jackiee

• View Profile
Disabled?
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 21:54:04 »
I am most surprised at Edinburgh being so poorly equipped.  We live 15 miles from Edinburgh airport and use it regularly.  Not being disabled I was not aware of these shortcomings.  Lets hope things change in the near future as the airport is in the process of modernisation and expansion.
Jackie

Offline wiljar

• View Profile
Disabled?
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 23:33:19 »
Jackie,
Edinburgh is our local airport. We spent Christmas with the family in Jersey returning on 28th Dec. As I have said previously, my husband has quite severe rheumatoid arthritis and that day was a bad day for him - climbing or descending stairs out of question. On the  puddle jump from Jersey to Gatwick - no problems - hoist available in Jersey. Gatwick was fine but Edinburgh - nothing. No jetty, so it was a case of my husband being strapped into the narrow wheelchair and 2 attendants lifting him down the steps. It was 9.30pm and pretty foul weather, one of the attendants actually slipped on the steps, fortunately he did not harm himself but in this day and age, and for a capital city, this service is not acceptable.
We arrived at stand 8, and it is quite a walk from there to the door which is at Gate 1 & 1a.
As previously mentioned the attendants are marvellous, very willing and on one or two occasions have actually accompanied us on the bus to the car park to help me with our luggage.
We are flying from Edi later this month so will hope that there is a jetty available otherwise since it is a 757 with quite a lot of steps to climb, it may be another human lift up the steps.

Disabled?
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 15:44:55 »
Good luck, Wiljar.  Keep going. And keep talking to Edinburgh.  The Castle is fabulous and now I have seen the Stone of Scone in London and back where it belongs in Edinburgh.  Plus where it sat a long time ago outside Scone Palace.

Offline Jeff

• View Profile
Disabled?
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 21:21:10 »
Wiljar, Helen who is a moderator on the The Former Company forums lives not far from Edinburgh, and would I am pretty sure be interested in putting pressure on the airport to increase the avaliability of facilities for the disabled there, which are pretty shabby for a capital city.

Should you decide to take any action let me know and I will be only to pleased to let the airport authorities know that you are not alone.

Offline wiljar

• View Profile
Disabled?
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 16:21:11 »
Jeff,
Many thanks for your reply - I am writing to BAA (interesting to see that a Spanish Group are talking of making a bid for BAA ) and reminding them of their duties under the disabilities act etc. Will keep you informed.
Wilma J.

Offline Jeff

• View Profile
Disabled?
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 21:07:31 »
Thanks Wilma, it would be interesting to know what,if any comments BAA make to your questions.
There are several members on here who live in Scotland and perhaps they would make themselves known so that you can get more pressure brought to bear on Edinburgh airport.

Jeff.

Offline Jackiee

• View Profile
Disabled?
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 21:29:50 »
Add me to the list.  What do you want me to do, write to BAA?
Jackie

Offline boiler

• View Profile
Disabled?
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 17:57:25 »
To all of you that have written above, I would like to personally shake you by the hand and thank you all for thinking of others. I found a very "unsympathic attitude" to those that need help. ( I hate the word disabled, for I have found these people can do things that I and many others cannot, so I say that they are alternatively abled people,and as such give inspiration to others. So when I see or hear of people trying to help others I realise perhaps, there is hope for both the helpers and those that they aid.