Sponsored Link

Suggestions for Diamond...

Offline Mavo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2007, 11:01:00 »
There is some talk elsewhere about the possibility of reviewing the points saving system. I agree that it could be looked at as it seems to disadvantage the less organised among us. I do not have a problem with the system but every year about this time we have members who are giving a few of this years points allocation away as they have missed the save by date so it is a case of use them or lose them.

Moving on from that.
 Earlier this year we had to cancel a holiday at very short notice due to an elderly close relative breaking her hip.
 We were within 2 weeks of going on the holiday and so lost the points. We did manage to claim back the value of the points from our insurance company but would it not have been a good idea to give us the option of either claiming the value of our points or returning the points to our annual allocation.
 Our holiday should have been in March which would have given us plenty of time to rebook using the returned points. If the lost holiday had been say towards the end of the year then the offer could have been to carry the points forward to the following year (if nothing suitable could be found at the end of the year).
 This type of thing would be a rare occurence within the scheme of things so it would not really upset the balance of the system to make such an offer under medical circumstances.
tomeluk

Offline smasters

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 19:25:10 »
After our wonderful holiday to Jardines del Sol, the first under SC's leadership, we experienced the best in customer care.  The only improvements I can think of, which may seem a little petty (hurray for that, as no doubt I could have wrote a dissertation on the previous company)was with regards to the amount of washing up liquid provided.  We always try to leave our apartment as clean as possible, hopefully showing respect to Diamond and a courtesy towards our fellow members who may arrive early.  The day before our departure, we ran out of washing up liquid and had to purchase a bottle so we could clean any dishes.  Now I know this is a pathetic moan, but had Diamond restocked us at the start of our second week then we would not have needed to go shopping.  Partly we are to blame as I am sure had we requested (we were asked at every opportunity if there was anything else) that Diamond would have provided, but being typical British we did not want to impose, so we failed to ask for something we needed, perhaps it would be better if Diamond arranged for this automatically.  

Moving onto our wishes as a family:

1  There is far too many units in Tenerife and mainland Spain, get rid of some of them and move into new areas that will attract new members.  A new resort in the east would be welcomed or Greece (although I understand it may be difficult to own a resort outright here).  There is too much competition in Spain for us to outshine the other timeshare companies; we need a varied portfolio that will attract new members.
2   Automatic transfer of membership to our next of kin, why should we name our children, they automatically get everything unless we state otherwise.  Our two sons already want their own membership, and would no doubt require more points than 50% of our holding.
3   Introduce a "buy back scheme", similar to Marriott, whereby Diamond authorise all resales and if they deem it to be too little money they match the price offered.  This would increase the value of points and subsequently increase new sales as resales would be harder to find.  I know this subject will not be attractive to most members, but Diamond is now a private company, and I want to see it succeed.  I know from experience (Jardines del Sol) that we the members will ultimately benefit.  We need the financial input from new ethical sales.
4   Flights, price match, say if Diamond fail, they give us a discount on the points, or voucher to use at the resort or free excursions, anything to get us to use their travel agents service.  This would increase the money going into the pot and also make more members happy, so their first point of call for flights and car hire would be Diamond.
5   In EU resorts offer incentives to members for going to a sales presentation, ok we all hate them, but if there was a lunch for 4 at a local restaurant for example more may attend.  There are so many members that prefer to buy direct from Diamond than resale for the re assurance only and think the extra is well worth it.  At JdS another member had over 300(00) points, all purchased from Diamond, and were well aware of the resale value but had decided to buy direct, I could not argue with their logic and also admired them for
their commitment.

Kind Regards

Sue

Offline daveandmaureen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 22:04:28 »
Evening Sue,

This partly but not entirely tongue in cheek. You wrote.....

"At JdS another member had over 300(00) points, all purchased from Diamond, and were well aware of the resale value but had decided to buy direct, I could not argue with their logic and also admired them for their commitment".

I could not agree more anyone who buys 300(00) points all direct from DRI or (I suspect) the previous Company should indeed be committed!

Cheers

Dave K

Offline smasters

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 18:11:19 »
Hi Dave

The reasons they had were in part due to the security involved with purchasing direct from Diamond and also due to the "incentives", they would not be drawn on what incentives involved, but I should imagine a discount on management fees etc.  It was not due to ignorance as they were fully aware of the Escrow service, and I did recommend David Allsop and his site.  They were both very intelligent and held high powered positions.  They were more than happy with the cost they had paid and felt they had a good deal.  I know that when we first purchased our 110(00) points from the former company, some other members had purchased only 50(00) points for a few hundred pounds less, some had even paid more!!!! There are a lot of members who still decide to buy direct rather than resale despite the extra cost involved, some may do due to ignorance, but this was definitely not this case with this couple. It was mentioned that they also wanted to see the club succeed and were willing to invest.

On a personal note, although we have since increased our points, initially we went against the advice of family and friends (some are members also) to purchase just the minimum and buy resale; primarily as we did not want the added cost later down the line and also because we were purchasing a 2 week holiday every year and felt the cost was worth it.  I must admit that we closed the deal, made our offer for the amount of points we wanted and told the reps (yes there were three of them) to come back to us with a yes or no.

And as for your tongue, heres mine blowing a raspberry lol and get back in your straight jacket!!!!!

Kindest Regards

Sue

Offline daveandmaureen

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 19:47:23 »
Hi Sue,

Don't want to bore people with what was simply a play on words which on this occasion I just could NOT resist.

I can follow the reference to tongues but the straight jacket has passed me by. I believe it is possible to have someone committed with the need for a straight jacket, still I've never cracked up completely and I may have that bit wrong.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I love my Timeshare Points and am slowly coming round to the DRI way of proceeding. However if you ever see me at a Resort about to pay £230 per "old point" to a sales rep then Yes get the straight jacket and stop me from doing so.

£230 per old point was the figure quoted by the nice young man (Rep) at SBGOC in January 2007, he told me my 170(00) Points were now worth £39,000!!! Which is fantastic as they cost me a shade less than £7,150.

Cheers

Dave King

Offline smasters

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2008, 16:54:12 »
Hi Dave

One mans insanity is anothers sanity, is what I was getting at, you may think a person mad to purchase all those points direct, but they felt it was the best way for them.  Who are we to deem another foolish.  They were also premier members and thought the towels alone value for money.  I must admit I did not agree with this, but I respect their choice and having to pack damp smelly towels in bin bags I did almost have a change of heart.

What is not fair is the fact that it seems a "lucky dip" on the cost members have paid per point, some paid over £200 per  old point and then there are those who have paid less than £100 per old point.  Someone else suggested that there should be a set price and I think this is a good idea as I know I would be peeved if someone paid less per point that I did.  

Kind Regards

Sue

Offline daveandmaureen

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2008, 20:00:05 »
Evening Sue,

So pleased to hear the straight-jacket order in my XXL size has been cancelled.

You are of course quite correct the couple you met are fully entitled to do whatever they want with their money. I think you said they held high powered jobs , therefore one assumes they had salaries to match.

If they were affluent then perhaps the convenience of buying direct was more useful to them than saving some money buying from outgoing members with offers, correspondence, escrow, paperwork etc to consider. I am pleased they are happy with the product they have paid so much for.

You mention the various sums that are quoted by those who have purchased points direct and I agree that it is unfortunate that they can vary so much. Sadly this seems to be a manifestation of the extent to which a sales rep can reduce the price per point to clinch a deal. Those Members who have bought at "top dollar" will no doubt have brought a huge smile to the lips of the sales team.

I have read a few posts on this and other sites which have suggested potential points buyers should drive a hard bargain and refuse to pay "over the odds". I tried this myself when on our first S-unterra holiday at the fixed week we bought at Garden Lago from a resales company.

The sales team at Garden Lago offered to convert our July week (worth 45(00) points) into that number of points if we paid a conversion fee of £1,699. They were very kindly prepared to sell us another 35(00) for about £6.5K as well. If we acceted the offer on the additional points then the conversion fee would be reduced to Nil.

For a while I was sorely tempted and in the spirit of driving a hard bargain,I gave the Sales Rep an ultimatum. Reduce the conversion fee to something like an administration fee and we will convert and be prepared to pay £4K for 35(00) points. I even gave him 24 hours to think anout it!  It didn't work he rather sulkily declined.

To our amazement upon our return home, within 4 weeks, S-unterra's Office at Malaga wrote to us and offered us 50(00) points (a bonus of 5(00)) to convert at a fee of the usual admin charge of £299. I despatched the cheque for £299 by return of post and this is where our Points membership began.

One change introduced by SJC - the monitoring of Sales Reps and the removal of those who stray too far from the truth - is a great step in the right direction. My personal view is that DRI Points are a flexible way to enjoy timeshare standard holidays. If the product is sold honestly, and preferably to customers who are best placed to make points ownership a sucess then who needs salesmen with forked tongues.

Cheers and happy holidays for the future. (We go to Jardin del Sol in June and are now looking forward to it more than ever)

Dave K

Offline Doggy50k

• Senior Moderator & Quiz Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008, 19:11:06 »
Just thought I'd give this topic a gentle bump.

It appears that there has been a communique to the Yahoo Group from the DRI offices in relation to the new Owner Advisory Board (with a warning about abusive behaviour).

I would hope that if the members of the board (whoever they may be) will be looking in on all sites where members post looking for input and suggestions to take to the table.

This thread would be a very good start [:D]

"You know; the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

Offline Mavo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2008, 21:50:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by Doggy50k

Just thought I'd give this topic a gentle bump.

It appears that there has been a communique to the Yahoo Group from the DRI offices in relation to the new Owner Advisory Board (with a warning about abusive behaviour).

I would hope that if the members of the board (whoever they may be) will be looking in on all sites where members post looking for input and suggestions to take to the table.

This thread would be a very good start [:D]

Hi Graham

Steve Cloobeck regards this thread as a must visit place.
 I do find it a real shame that only we few visit and contribute to it. However we will have to see just how many of the thoughts and ideas are taken on board. It is very encouraging to note that a few have already, seemingly, been implemented or refined and acted upon.
 I wonder if we can arrange a large tick (not of the bloodsucking variety) to be made available from Paul, so ideas that make it off the ground can be awarded the tick. This may well encourage others to make suggestions.
tomeluk

Offline Doggy50k

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2008, 22:16:30 »
Hi Tom

Found this:

I will email you the link so you can add it to any suggestions which are taken up?

"You know; the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

Offline incise84

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2008, 22:36:27 »
If Stephen Cloobeck does pop on to read this thread and finds not too much activity,then perhaps most people are happy with the way things are I know I am (lack of availability is a problem not a suggestion)

Offline Doggy50k

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2008, 22:41:46 »
Hi Michelle

I am certain that he will be aware that not all improvements can be thought of in one fell swoop.

We have listed many on here, and from time to time we will undoubtedly think of more.

I read on the Yahoo group this weekend that they thought it would be a good idea to do something similar.  Bit slow coming out of the Gate perhaps (and the Group is more of an email exchange than a forum).

Many of us post on there, you never know some of them might have some ideas and (as we know lots of them do frequent this site) they might find it more appropriate to post them on here?

[:D]

Offline incise84

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2008, 23:00:01 »
It would be nice if now and again perhaps they could pop on here to give reviews, they are certainly quick to pop on to "attack"

Off topic but, I have booked to go to Palm Oasis in 6 weeks time and hope to post a "small review" well what else would you expect from me, it will take me weeks to compose.

Michelle
x

Offline tonyc

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2008, 23:18:32 »
Sometimes it is the little things that set a resort apart from the rest.  For instance, we go to the USA a fair amount and there are things that tend to come as standard at resorts in the States that we don't seem to get in Europe very often.

For instance, we have stayed at resorts in Europe where when you go outside at night you can invariably be groping around in the dark - even around your car in the car park.  When I have been to resorts in America - Sedona Summit, for example - a rechargeable touch (always fully charged) comes as standard in one of the power points within each unit.

Additionally, I cannot recall staying at a resort in the US - either in Florida, Arizona or California - when it was not common practice to supply pool towels (which were replaced along with the normal towels in mid-week).  I don't recall being offered pool towels at European resorts and, in England, you are specifically told not to use the towels that are provided at the swimming pools.  Instead, they suggest you might like to either buy or hire some for the week.

Last year, we stayed at Marriott's Desert Springs in Palm Desert, California and not only where pool towels available at the pool but you left them in a bin in the pool area at the end of your swim for the day.  When we stayed at Fairfield Star Island in Kissimmee in Florida you collected pool towels from a lifeguard hut in the pool area and returned them when you had finished with them for the day.

Also, at Marriott's Desert Springs, in each unit, as well as the usual toiletries (which are generally available everywhere including here in the UK) you had a supply - 2, 4 or 6 depending on the size of the unit - of nice soft, white bath robes for use in the units.  

It is small touches like this that set the better resorts above the rest.  And don't forget some of them are already available within Diamond's US resorts.

Tony

Offline Jeff

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2008, 01:37:27 »
I was recently at Cromer and a torch was supplied in our apartment, so some places are already taking on board that suggestion.

I would like to suggest that when the beds are due for replacement, that they are replaced with king sized beds, especially as the ones that are in the British resorts only seem to be made for people under 5' in height [;)]

Just correcting a typo.
 You must be bog-eyed from looking at those screens Jeff.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 01:49:16 by Mavo »

Offline Doggy50k

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2008, 21:17:42 »
Most resorts have specific check in days, and check out days.

Some resorts have gone to the trouble of confirming flight times for the regular charter flights in the past.

How about making this service the norm in all resorts (certainly those which one normally has to fly to such as Tenerife)

Offline Mavo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2008, 19:49:19 »
Re torches. The last three Diamond Resorts holidays we have taken all had torches available in the apartments.
 I do think that it would be a good idea for the resorts to confirm flight times on the day before checkout.
Having read the great Resort Report on Garden Lago by Dave I think that there should be something Diamond could do to make use of weeks owners "no shows" which are increasing because of the exchange rate and also increasing flight costs. Can they not be rewarded for advising well in advance that they will not be using their week so that others may benefit.   Any ideas anyone?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 20:40:18 by Mavo »
tomeluk

Offline smasters

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2009, 20:59:38 »
With the restriction on 2nd hands points, perhaps DRI may consider allowing full use of these points for all new member benefits and USA etc if the owner purchased for example 2000 new points from DRI converting all points into "qualifying" points.

Offline Mavo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2009, 21:38:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by smasters

With the restriction on 2nd hands points, perhaps DRI may consider allowing full use of these points for all new member benefits and USA etc if the owner purchased for example 2000 new points from DRI converting all points into "qualifying" points.

Not bad Sue -  That way it would only have a positive effect if it also benefitted the company.

Member Education and Enrichment Seminars.
 Wouldn`t it be a good idea to combine each of these with a "surgery" by one of our member directors who could then explain to us how they look after our interests within the structure.
tomeluk

Offline Doggy50k

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2009, 21:44:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mavo

Member Education and Enrichment Seminars.
 Wouldn`t it be a good idea to combine each of these with a "surgery" by one of our member directors who could then explain to us how they look after our interests within the structure.

What a great idea Tom - I would love to find out how our member directors look after our interests within the structure.

I think this would be of benefit to the whole membership, as it is the membership that put them in these positions, the members can get good honest open feedback.