Sponsored Link

Want out of RCI - What can I do?

« on: December 30, 2004, 15:59:42 »
I have been a RCI weeks member for 4 years and converted to points 2 years ago.
As time has gone by, I have become increasingly irritated with the extortionate fees RCI charge for what are, in essence, simple admin. functions. Their latest tariff (effective from 01.01.05) is ridiculous - now I KNOW I'm being ripped off.
So, I want out. Question is, how do I go about it?
My membership is due for renewal soon. What would happen if I just didn't pay?
Basically I just want to go back to owning my 2 weeks timeshare, with no RCI involvement at all or, better still, sell the timeshare.
All advice gratefully received,
Les.

Offline Val

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 23:09:39 »
Do not renew. If you have the renewal fee on Direct debit cancel it.
Good luck with selling.
Val
--------------
Old Heads are like Old Horses. They need constant exercise

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 08:41:56 »
Thanks for that, Val. That's exactly what I'm thinking of doing.
My concern, though, is that I had to go through loads of legal malarkey to convert to points - maybe I'm, paranoid, but I'm concerned that if I simply don't renew (rather than going all through the legal malarkey again) RCI will be able to penalise me in some way or I lose my rights to my timeshare or whatever.
If you or anyone else reading this knows what RCI can and would do about it, please let me know.
Cheers,
Les.

Offline Val

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 20:37:35 »
Sorryn Les
Cannot help there.We have weeks but RCI disaffiliated the resort (Loch Rannoch Highland Club) once new management were voted in so will not go back to them even if they take the resort back in at any time.
Val
Val
--------------

Offline Carolinian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 01:00:27 »
You might also consider exchanging through one of the independent exchange companies like www.dialanexchange.com , www.htse.net ,
www.sfx-resorts.com , www.platinuminterchange.com , www.dae.ch

Offline harrybosh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 19:14:18 »
If you need to come out of RCI Points, the first thing you need to do is obtain a surrender form from RCI, fill it out and send it back to them. RCI will write to you when the surrender has been completed, this can take a few months!! If you acquired Pure points when you converted, you may have to keep these unless the company you coverted with will have them back - RCI will be able to give you some more information on what to do with the pure points. You can then simply let your membership to RCI lapse.

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 20:17:45 »
Thanks for that,
I've had to renew again for this year although I didn't really want to (long story) but at least that gives me time now to "properly" exit the points system and, indeed, RCI.
Shame, really, that a great idea in principle has been ruined (at least as far as I am concerned) by RCI's thirst for profit at all cost.

Offline Keitht

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 13:03:46 »
Les

Points doesn't work for me but that is due to the way I use the exchange system.  I agree with Carolinian's suggestion of investigating alternative exchange companies.  As you do feel that timeshare is good in principle it would be a shame to walk away - and most likely lose a substantial amount of money without considering the alternatives.
Regards

Keith

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 21:13:49 »

I hate RCI also - they are a rip off and so is II.
Join us - if you have a luxury resort - i.e. Gold Crown, RID, 5 star, etc.  - I am setting up a FREE timeshare site called manageyourowntimeshare. com where you list your resort for swap  and you deal directly with the other owner - no middleman RCI in the way!!

Lets form our own and do our own swaps - I can type letters of agreement and some examples will be on the website when I get it up and running.  In the meantime, send me information on your resort, the time you have, which resort you want and include telephone and email - I will make up a chart and send out to all until the site is up and running.
Helen
hsabin2005@yahoo.com

quote:
Originally posted by Val

Do not renew. If you have the renewal fee on Direct debit cancel it.
Good luck with selling.

Offline Val

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 23:14:51 »
This sounds very similar to Timex
Val
Val
--------------

Offline Edna

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 09:41:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by lesrogers

I have been a RCI weeks member for 4 years and converted to points 2 years ago.
As time has gone by, I have become increasingly irritated with the extortionate fees RCI charge for what are, in essence, simple admin. functions. Their latest tariff (effective from 01.01.05) is ridiculous - now I KNOW I'm being ripped off.
So, I want out. Question is, how do I go about it?
My membership is due for renewal soon. What would happen if I just didn't pay?
Basically I just want to go back to owning my 2 weeks timeshare, with no RCI involvement at all or, better still, sell the timeshare.
All advice gratefully received,
Les.

I agree with you. We also converted to points about 2 years ago and like you I'm also annoyed at the rising prices. By the time you've paid your membership, exchange fees, memberships fees, management fees etc it all adds up to an expensive holiday.
We recently booked a holiday. There was nothing available for Sep/Oct on points so they offered an exchange but they didn't say we'd have to pay £219 exchange against £65 for points. Also the books don't give enough info and after booking I went on the web. I found out the place we'd booked is at the very top of a steep hill. We are pensioners - which we'd told them - and we both have heart problems so it was totally unsuitable and we've had to cancel. We will now lose the £219 and I'm fuming. We might have something to pay for the flight also. You can't look things up beforehand because you don't know where you're going till you actually get on the phone and book because they never seem to have what you want. We were on the phone for nearly an hour. Why can't they open weekends when it's cheaper? We can't book on line because you've to give a specific week - and we're flexabile and like I said, you don't get your first choice anyway. We couldn't even get the country we wanted. I've complained to RCI about various things and I feel that more people should do so. We shouldn't keep letting them get away with things. Like you, we're thinking of pulling out

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 16:54:47 »
Be careful when cancelling, we were in the Catch 22 situation that, if we cancelled, we lost our 13-month ahead pre-booked time at our own resort home week - at least they threatened us with this in that "we had to be a current member" to use this time 13-months ahead. We got our resort on our side and, after quite a bit of correspondence, managed to get out without forfeiting our week. We filled in the cancellation form for the RCI membership and sent it with a covering letter - registered - saying that they did NOT have the rights to our homeweek. I also made a lot of fuss on ASK RCI on Tug and publicised what we were doing. Not something I would normally do but I could not get RCI's verbal agreement from 3x VCs into writing that we would not forfeit our week.

Good Luck

Babs

GoogleTagged