Broadband from £5.99 a month with an included wireless router when you sign up to Plusnet - terms apply
'
Sponsored Link

Akeld Manor Maintenance Fee increaes due to loses

Offline marc291

• View Profile
« on: February 29, 2008, 22:21:41 »
Hi

I am an owner at Akeld and just received a letter out the blue requesting an extra 200 one of payment due to losses suffered in the last two years and expected losses this year.

No accounts have ever been released and no breakdown of this figure reasons or actions to combat losses.

Any other owners had this letter? and advice on what to do?

Marc

Offline charlie33brown

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 14:07:53 »
I too have recieved a bill for 'another' one off payment on top of maintenance fees for Akeld Manor accompanied by another quite interesting letter concerning court action should the fee remain unpaid. I have no idea where to turn or indeed what options that I have so I would appreciate any help with this matter since i am unable and reluctant to make this payment[:(!]

Charlie

Offline Carolinian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 05:16:32 »
Who runs the resort?  Is it an member-elected board or developer management? I try to avoid owning at any resort with the latter arrangement as it usually does not work out in the members interest.  Indeed in four resorts I have owned at, the members had to band together and kick out developer management, but that had happened before I had owned at any of them.  In one situation, court proceedings went all the way to the state Supreme Court, but members won at every stage.

In the US, any member has a right to go to the resort and examine the books.  You might want to see what similar rights you may have under UK law.

Offline Simoncc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 08:11:42 »
Akeld is run by the family company that developed the complex. Whilst there is owner representation their powers are limited.

I'm an owner at this resort and at the time I bought the week the annual fees were approx half those charged by my other 2 resorts. Perhaps not surprisingly, at that level the resort was running at a loss. According to the resort accountants, last years levy charge was necessary to bring the income to a level close to expenditure.

For this year, the charge has been incorporated into the annual fee and the accounts issed to owners showed that the resort is now being run at a profit. Hopefully, future fees will take this into account.

Whilst no increase is welcome I still believe that the fees are reasonable for a UK based resort.

Offline Glowingembers13

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 17:29:45 »
I too own at Akeld and paid this 'one off' fee last year.  Also the maintenance fees have almost doubled.

Surely, they have not issued 'a further one off payment' for this year, have they?  I haven't received any demand for any other payment, except the increased maintenance fees.  I notice your post is 19 March 2009.  We won't be at all happy, if they have done this, again.  It's scary to believe that they have carte blanche to add additional charges, and basically charge you what they want.

By the time you pay the maintenance, and pay RCI exchange fees/subscriptions, I'm beginning to feel that I do not wish to be a timeshare owner any longer, but how do you sell?  They also impose a £400.00 change of ownership fee ( which I feel is quite rediculous).

I've never stayed at this resort, despite owning a timeshare here for 14 yrs or so.  Would appreciate others comments regarding this resort.

If we could sell, we would!

Offline Simoncc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 08:41:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by Glowingembers13

Surely, they have not issued 'a further one off payment' for this year, have they?

By the time you pay the maintenance, and pay RCI exchange fees/subscriptions, I'm beginning to feel that I do not wish to be a timeshare owner any longer, but how do you sell?  They also impose a £400.00 change of ownership fee ( which I feel is quite rediculous).

I've never stayed at this resort, despite owning a timeshare here for 14 yrs or so.  Would appreciate others comments regarding this resort.

I believe that Charlie33Brown's post refers to the extra charge applied last year - I've certainly not received any invoice for a further charge this year.

I bought at this resort in the last 18 months so it is possible to sell a unit here! If you do want out you will need to price your unit very realistically in the current climate. I bought my unit through Aberfoyle holidays and looking at their current listings the most expensive unit is £1,999 for a 2 bed during the summer high season - in my case all fees were included in the sale price as well.

I've only been to the resort once and felt it offered good standard accomodation in a wonderful, underdelevoped, part of the UK. If there is any demand for timeshare resale at the moment then should be one type of resort that will sell.

Offline charlie33brown

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 20:17:03 »
You can be assured that the 'one off' payment that was requested last year has been incorporated into this years fee also which means that the fee for 2009 has doubled. I only own one week (week 4)in a one bedroom in blue time which is now £400!!  I am in a very tricky situation since becoming a single parent I can no longer afford to pay these fees and desperately need help and the resort staff are particularly unhelpful.  I do not know where I stand legally and most timeshare resale companies appear to be a little 'suspect' asking for money upfront. Everything you try to do requires some sort of 'admin fee' which is at least £400.  Does anyone know of any way to release myself from this nightmare without further cost to myself?? I appear to be in a no win situation and Iam unsure as to the legalities. Please help!

quote]Originally posted by Simoncc

quote:
Originally posted by Glowingembers13

Surely, they have not issued 'a further one off payment' for this year, have they?

I believe that Charlie33Brown's post refers to the extra charge applied last year - I've certainly not received any invoice for a further charge this year.

I bought at this resort in the last 18 months so it is possible to sell a unit here! If you do want out you will need to price your unit very realistically in the current climate. I bought my unit through Aberfoyle holidays and looking at their current listings the most expensive unit is £1,999 for a 2 bed during the summer high season - in my case all fees were included in the sale price as well.

I've only been to the resort once and felt it offered good standard accomodation in a wonderful, underdelevoped, part of the UK. If there is any demand for timeshare resale at the moment then should be one type of resort that will sell.

[/quote]

Offline Carolinian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 20:46:25 »
If you just want to get rid of it, put it up for auction with one pound as the opening bid on eBay or www.bidshares.com with buyer paying transfer fees.

Offline charlie33brown

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 21:30:16 »
Thanks so much for the advice I really didnt know where to start but i'll certainly let u know how I get on.

quote:
Originally posted by Carolinian

If you just want to get rid of it, put it up for auction with one pound as the opening bid on eBay or newbielink:http://www.bidshares.com [nonactive] with buyer paying transfer fees.

Offline Sandy Hills

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 12:28:19 »
I have researched both the increase in maintenance fees and the "one off" payment. Before 2006 there was a formula in the Constitution which basically restricted rises in the m.f. to the rate of inflation. At the AGM in 2006, attended by just 12 members, the owner proposed a change in the constitution. There was no prior notice given that such a change in the constitution was going to be proposed. The proposal was agreed by the 12 members present. This, in effect, allowed the owner to increase the m.f. by however much she could persuade her mates on the Management Committee to agree to. The next year the m.f. went up by over 60%! At the same AGM the 12 members were persuaded to approve the "one off" payment, having been told it would be "marginally in excess of £30 or thereabouts”. The actual figure subsequently demanded? Marginally in excess of £195! Citing the so-called “change of constitution” ( which I believe to be of dubious legality) the owner has since kept on increasing the m.f. above the rate of inflation, and no doubt will always will do so in future. I asked that my concerns be put on the AGM agenda for last year so that other owners realised others shared their concerns, and maybe we could have had a greater attendance than 12 at the AGM to discuss the matter. You will not be surprised to learn that the owner did not comply with my request. Having found your site and forum, I hope that other Akeld owners read this and that we can band together to put up a legal challenge. If we do not, we all face the future knowing three things are inevitable - taxes, death, and ever increasing Akeld management fees.
G.M. Colquhoun

Offline 56johnmc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 12:53:41 »
Sandy
Does the constitution say anything about the process for changing the constitution such as requiring a ballot of the members? It might be worth speaking to a solicitor via the Citizens Advice Bureau or paying for a half hour consultation with one.

Even if a change to the constitution could be made by a simple vote, a judge could view that a ballot of the members should be undertaken.

If a solicitor thinks you have a case, you could try and recover the excess paid over and above the rate of inflation via the small claims court if you have grounds that the change was not legal. At least this would test if the change was legal or not.

Some other points to consider. Do you have legal insurance as part of your house and / or contents insurance. It could cover the cost of any action. Also if you do consult a solicitor check if the other party can appeal to a higher court and does the solicitor know if you can insure against the costs involved - yours and the timeshare's.

I have used the small claims court in the past against a former employers over a dispute involving removal expenses and won. But it was a nerve racking experience especially when the other party said they intended to appeal on a point of law (which they can do) - that scared the hell out of me as I did not want to get involved in the higher courts with higher costs. In the event they didn't and they paid up.

Don't know if this is of any help

John
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 12:55:23 by j.mcfarlane »

Offline Simoncc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 09:50:46 »
I'm an owner at Akeld and think that those who want the resort to flourish in the future need to consider whether it is realistic that fees could continue at the previous low level.

Prior to the 'one off' payment subsequently included in the annual payment the fees were under £300 for a week. At this level (with UK based costs) the accounts showed consistent annual losses. The natural conclusion if this was allowed to continue would be for the resort to close.

I am aware that there are owners at Akeld who only use their week to exchange and therefore probably don't care about the quality of the resort itself. They simply a cheap exchange option but those that visit the resort (and are also concerned about the quality for exchange guests) want to ensure that there are funds to cover improvements.  

Personally I think the current level of fees is acceptable but would like to see greater owner involvement in the running of the club and more transparency and communication to the owners to reassure us that we are not going to see future dramatic increases as Sandy Hills and others fear.

Offline marc291

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 18:36:15 »
Thanks for all the responses to my original post.

It would seem that things are only getting worse.

Just received another letter from Akeld advising off losses of 37k.

"However members were not directly affected by this, as Mrs Allan personally is the provider of the loss"
So does this mean we must expect another hike in fees again this year, no doubt!!.
The resort management here seem to be dominated by the original developers who seem to have a rather unfair controlling interest using the timeshare to support the non timeshare cottage and house rental side. Members keep asking for breakdown of fees, this is always refused, except for a basic list of some spending last year. "Accounts will be available from companies house" we are told.

The resort is falling apart and needs a lot of money spent on it, the units are very shabby, decor is dated and very worn, the windows badly need painted and most of the glass needs replaced. There is no energy efficiency program visible.

Also advised in this letter there are 71 weeks advertised for sale by Akeld with prices starting at 0, so you cant even give these weeks away, such a shame as this could be such a good resort.

The problem seems to be the management dominated my Mrs Allan, who decides what happens, dare the owner to speak or ask for anything and she will shoot them down in flames.
At the AGM the way she spoke to some owners was disgusting and should not be allowed to happen, we are owners and not school children. However the constitution is such that she is protected and must be obeyed.

So the fees continue to rise, the resort continues to fall apart and Mrs Allan continues to rule the roost with a rod of iron and to treat owners with content. One wonders if this is the plan to chase away as many owners as possible so Mrs Allan can gain control of the whole complex and forget about the timeshare as in her own words "is a nightmare and I wish I had never gone down this route".

R.I.P Akeld Manor as I am sure another load of members will be getting ready to dump the week, or as Mrs Allen puts it go to ground

Offline Simoncc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 11:42:35 »
Hello Marc,

I also received this letter and agree that owner involvement and communication can be very much improved!

If, as you suggest, the timeshare owners are supporting the viability of the whole resort then it shouldn't be in Mrs Allen's long term interests to antagonise the owners with continual fee increases or curt responses to reasonable requests.

As I stated in an earlier post I feel that the current fees are reasonable to maintain a good quality resort and the latest fee increase was a more acceptable 5% - hopefully this is at the upper end of future rises too.

I will be staying at Akeld over the summer and will report back on the state of the resort then.

Offline JaneRosie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 18:57:56 »
Hi,

I've been looking into selling my mother's timeshare at Akeld Manor and have come across this forum which is really helpful - if a little worrying.

Anyway, I wondered if anyone has any information on something I have heard, which is that local people may be interested in purchasing a timeshare at the right price as it gives them access to the gym facilities.

Any views?

Thanks, Jane

Offline Simoncc

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 10:03:31 »
Hello Jane,

This is an approach the resort management are using when trying to sell weeks marketed through them.

I would expect however that those only wanting gym membership would not be willing to pay much as an upfront purchasing cost in addition to the annual fees. It may however be an option to consider if your mother is willing to give her week away to avoid future fees.

Offline JaneRosie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 22:27:39 »
Thanks for the reply Simon (hopefully correct name).

You say 'This is an approach the resort management are using when trying to sell weeks marketed through them.'. What other ways are there to sell? I know there is internet selling (ebay, possibly timshare selling sites for example), but I'm wary for 2 reasons:

1 - having spoken to Akeld Manor directly it is clear that they only allow sales to private buyers and it seems to me that many purchasers are businesses, more likely than not scam...which leads me onto...

2 - my parents have been conned by the scam buyers (twice) so have already lost money. I've taken over handling the sale but I'm dealing to this day with the scam calls that my mother receives from time to time.

Trouble is my mother still believes the calls and thinks she can command a high price for her week!

Anyway, the main reason for my reply is to seek advice on how best to sell (other than the 'sell to locals for the gym facilities' route),

Thanks, Jane

Offline JaneRosie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 22:37:37 »
Simon,

Just read through the thread and have picked up that you bought recently through Aberfolye holidays so I guess that helps provide an answer to my query. But any further insight would also be appreciated.

I appreciate your comments on the above thread. Akeld Manor is set in a beautiful part of the country and from what I've seen, it offers a lovely holiday base for the area. Hope you enjoy your stay in the summer!

Jane

Offline arkwright

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 23:43:33 »
Jane, I suggest you visit legitimate resale sites to assess what price Akeld Manor property is being offered at, taking into account whether transfer fees are included in the price. I would suggest timeshare hypermarket, aberfoyle holidays, visions of the world, and timetravellers. Travel and leisure is another legitimate resale company but they don't show prices. Then you need to check what these companies charge for the sale, ensuring any fee for advertising is reasonable. I have heard of people who have dealt with these companies (mainly buying) with no problems.
If you feel brave, you could then advertise it yourself on ebay.
Best of luck.

Arkwright

brain research tells us that only twenty percent of human beings have a sense of irony, which means that eighty percent of the world takes everything at face value.

Offline JaneRosie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 16:39:17 »
Arkwright,

Thanks for the information - great to have a few names as I am feeling a little daunted by the whole process. My mum had a call from Golden Sands Marketing today supposedly with someone looking to buy our week for 4,000. I'm 99% sure it's a scam but it leaves my mum with the impression that she can get that kind of money for the property! I've spoken to Akeld Manor quite a bit to undestand their requirements and they have been very helpful, but all information is useful to me at the moment.

Anyone got any thoughts on the likes of Golden Sands Marketing. I asked if the seller has to pay anything and she assured me they don't. I asked quite a few probing questions as I'm extremely wary of these callers especially as my parents have been conned twice in the past but it all sounded legitimate - even though I'm sure it's not!

Jane

GoogleTagged