I.I.

Started by , March 22, 2004, 07:38:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Was just asking for infor on I.I.
I just received the resort book, and was wondering if we should use our "getaway's" for several short 2-3 day mini vacations, or if we should do something else with them?[}:)]
Is it difficult to book with this company?
Thanks'
Paula & Randy

We have been members with Interval International for about 2 years now and find the exchanges we have been able to get with their company to be very remarkable. The weeks we have received in exchange so far:
(1) Westin Mission Hills - Rancho Mirage, CA  (1bdrm)
(1) Marriott Desert Springs Villas - Palm Springs, CA - Christmas (2)
(3) Four Seasons Aviara - Carlsbad, CA - even Spring Break (2bdrm)
(3) Ocho Cascadas - Puerto Vallarta, MX (2bdrm - private pool)
(1) Marriott Grand Res - Lake Tahoe (3bdrm - sleeps 12)
(1) Club de Soleil - Las Vegas, NV (2bdrm)
(1) Disney Boardwalk Villas - Orlando, FL (2bdrm)
(1) Westin Ka'anapli - Maui, HI (1bdrm)
(1) Marriott Cypress Harbor - Orlando, FL  (2bdrm)

Every resort we have been to so far has been wonderful! The key to getting where you want to go with II is to be patient. II does not weight early deposits the way RCI does so you will find people do not deposit as early. There is more availability for the US and Mexico with limited availability in other regions (so this may or may not work for you, depending on where/when you want to travel).

For international exchanges into some interesting accomadations I think I prefer DAE. I like the unique places that they often feature in Europe and Exotic locations[:)]

Hope this helps -

Kim

I have recently joined II but,looking at the exchanges available on the website, was worried that it may be quite limited.  Did you exchange through the website or by phone?

I.I.  I think you do best with an ongoing search.  I do find great stuff on-line but it is usually in the 60 day window.  I also find, their prime on-line inventory moves very quickly so if you see something, you have to be ready to confirm.  I've lost quite a few great weks by popping over to orbitz to check airfare and when I come back 2 minutes later - it is gone.

heather

quote:
Originally posted by shell

...you have to be ready to confirm.  I've lost quite a few great weks by popping over to orbitz to check airfare and when I come back 2 minutes later - it is gone.

That's why I belong to RCI and II. They both have their plusses and minuses but with RCI you can put a week on hold until midnight the next day. But....their last minute window is 45 days compared to 60 days with II. My indecision about the relative qualities of each keeps me paying into both camps.

II will also let you put something on a 24 hour hold and they do mean 24 hours.  Their phones were tied up one day when I was trying to cancel & it was ~30 hours and they were not going to cancel.  I had to fuss for a supervisor - after a few minutes the guide came back & said they would cancel & refund this time but my account has been noted.

Carolinian

IMHO multiple exchange memberships gives timesharers more flexibility.

One important group of exchange companies to consider is the independent exchange companies, where the individual owner rather than the resort affiliates.  Your resort does not have to be affiliated for you to use these conpanies.  Many have free membership and some have a request first system, where you do not have to deposit a week or pay an exchange fee until they are able to confirm an exchange for you.  They make a good supplement to your II or RCI membership.  For II members, they give you a bridge to be able to get into RCI affiliated resorts, and vice versa.

Better independents include www.dialanexchange.com , www.dialanexchange.us , www.sfx-resorts.com (gold crown resorts only),
www.htse.net (red weeks only) , www.trading places.com , www.platinuminterchange.com , and www.interchange-timeshare.com.au .
There are also the United Kingdom Resort Exchange (UKRE) and Worldwide Resort Exchange, which do not have websites.

Boss Man

can someone please explain to me independent resort exchanges? I have a week in II and one in RCI, and I dont understand how to trade outside of them.
TIA
[:)]

TIA,

With both II and RCI, you can deposit your week and pull up any available week you have enough trading power to get.  

With Timex, you need to find someone who wants your resort who has a resort you want at a time you want it.  It's a direct exchange between the two of you.  

The cost is minimal, but the flexibility is just not there.  Timex will, however, send you information on people who request your resort, even if you didn't request their resort, if you check a box.  

I tried Timex, but didn't have any luck.  Or maybe I panicked early.  

One other difference with Timex is that you don't let go of your week unless you confirm a trade.  So you can try it out without buying a membership, and without irrevocably depositing your week.

I'm not sure how the other independent exchange companies work.  

There's also Trading Places International, but they limit the resorts they accept -- mostly Hawaii, California and Mexico.

Carolinian

With the independent exchange companies, it is the individual member, not the resort, that affiliates.   Consequently, the resort does NOT have to be affiliated with the independent exchange company for you to use them.  

Some independents, like Dial-an-Exchange or Interchange will accept about any timeshare deposit.  Others are more restrictive.  SFX takes only Gold Crown or 5* resorts and not all of their weeks.  HTSE takes only red weeks.

Some independents have free membership, and some also have a request first system where you do not have to make a deposit or pay a fee to make a request.  Many of them can be joined online.

neil1702

quote:
Originally posted by shell

I.I.  I think you do best with an ongoing search.  I do find great stuff on-line but it is usually in the 60 day window.  I also find, their prime on-line inventory moves very quickly so if you see something, you have to be ready to confirm.  I've lost quite a few great weks by popping over to orbitz to check airfare and when I come back 2 minutes later - it is gone.

Have you tried doing your exchange over the phone?
Because of the way our company works (UK based) I have to exchange over the phone and each time I find something I might like the II rep puts it on hold for two hours while I check out whether or not  I want it / can get there.
Had some great holidays - exchanged twice into Marriotts (Marbella Beach Resort and Playa Andaluza)