Points Vs. weeks

Started by , July 20, 2006, 02:51:17

Previous topic - Next topic

I just joined II and I've been hearing lately that the point system is better than the floating week and I'm just wondering if anyone else has found that to be true?
Thanks

neiltilley

i don't think points are perfected yet. it's just a new twist
to an evolving travel industry. these clubs and such where 800
points cost you £6000 is your one week away during a red week for maintenance of £400 for a 2 bed (for example)...
well is that not once regular timesharers realise that a resale might be £2000 for a similar week same costs. That developers have to invent a 'new' way to keep their revenue up???

maybe that's a bit cynical on my part. you have just joined ii you say. bought a floating week? well read my old posts about kololi and ii or DAE - as i am one of the most ever satisfied ii and floating week owners in the world and last year cottoned on to DAE and have just used them to long beach cyprus with no complaints. you will find threads with my references to costs , especially to long term costs and over ten years per person and in total divided by weeks total etc... then you will see selling me points would be like selling snow to eskimos... i believe you must read the product you are buying and ensure it fits the way you want to invest in your lifestyle for holidays. best of luck within anyone elses feedback- someone is bound to big up reasons for their points- i hope they do too.

tonyg

Different strokes for different folks. I have no problems with floating week and have never tried points. To me the key for value is ownership-if you don't own a week in a certain unit- you own a club and live or die with that club(most tend to die young).

oggsy

HAVE OWNED FOR 22 YEARS MY WEEKS ARE AT THE END OF SEPTEMBER AND WE HAVE NEVER FAILED TO GET THE SCHOOL HOLIDAYS IF WE HAD POINTS WE WOULD HAVE HAD TO BUY SOME MORE.

Carolinian

Points is actually the older of the two systems.  The very first timeshares were developed by Hapimag and they were and are points based.  The weeks system was a later improvement from French timeshare developers.  The market prefered the new weeks system, and it quickly surpassed points.  Multi-developer points systems originated in South Africa where they were the brainchild of a former loan shark (or tallyman as they are called there).  For the sordid details of points in South Africa, scroll through www.crimeshare.org/77.html (not all the posts are about points, but look for the ones about CRI, flexi-club, star club, club leisure, etc.)

There was an interesting article in Timesharing Today by California timeshare industry veteran Byron Wiegand a few issues back entitled ''Points Revisited'' that makes interesting reading.  He revealed that the process of existing RCI resorts in California changing to RCI Points had ground to a halt with the overwhelming majority remaining weeks-based.  He also said that many of the points conversion brokers in California who worked to switch individual owners at Points resorts were getting out of business because they had already reached all of those susceptible to changing.