I'm hoping someone on the forum will be able to help with my plight.
Between my borther and I we have owned a timeshare (weeks 9 & 10) in Tenerife for around 13 years but have decided this year to surrender the timeshare - regretfully due to the current economic climate.
On 24th Dec I called CLC to inform them of this but was received with aresponse that said I need to provide 28 days notice of surrender. Given my invoice for 2009 management fees had arrived on 22Dec I was also informed that I must pay the 2009 management fee.
I checked through the T&C's and could not find any reference to the 28days and as such wrote to CLC on the 24th to explain this and to try to understand why I am expected to pay 2009 fees given there is no reference to this in the T&C's
Today I chased CLC again and actually received a response this afternoon which basically says that because the invoice has been issued I have to pay the 2009 fee.
As you can imagine, I wasn't happy with the response so wanted to try to contact someone in authority as opposed to liaising with the Call Centre Supervisor who then takes my issues/complaints to the "management team" who then ask her to respond.
I searched the net for Roy Peires emails address/phone number but to no avail so wondered if anyone has had similar issues and can offer advice or has details of how I can contact someone in authority in CLC and ask them to understand and use their T&C's
Any help much appreciated
I would be inclined to take legal advice on this. On the face of it there would seem to be no basis for CLC demanding payment of the 2009, but without knowing all the T&Cs nobody here is really in a position to provide a definitive answer.
I would certainly expect you to have to put your surrender notification in writing, and as you will not be able to do that until a date in 2009 you may find yourself in a less strong position.
I must stress that all this is purely supposition and conjecture.
Please keep us informed of your progress as it could certainly be useful to others.
Well, at least you received a response from CLC. We notified them in december 08 that we wished to surrender the week and asked them how to do so and have not recieved a response, except by way of letter threatening legal action for non payment of the fees!
We will not be paying any management fees for 2009 and are still awaiting a response from CLC as to how to surrender the week.
If anyone has any firm information from CLC as to how to surrender membership I would be grateful for a message to email@example.com
we are in the same boat we own 5 weeks and points want to hand back week at monterey as we have week 44 at paradise the same. we have had the letter informed them in january we wanted to surrender. the bill has jumped from 530 to 930 phoned told them we cannot pay and they asaid we could pay in installments.. they are making a packet at one time they had your weeks back if you didnot pay now they want the maintence on top.. how do we stand any answers..
We also have had the same problem with CLC. We had sold our points last year and sent the new owners the certificate, unfortunately they decided not to pay the annual maintenance and did not notify CLC So even though we had notified CLC of the change of ownership they are still demanding (with menaces) the fee for 2009 as they say we are still the legal owners. Also to rub salt into the wounds they have charged us an extra 1,000 Euros for late payment.
We have written and phoned CLC and the response was "either you pay this or we will refer you to solicitors who will take you to court and you will pay the costs"
I wish you luck but do not hold your breath waiting on CLC being generous.
Hi. We were mis sold last year. We were repeatedly told that we could sell our points at any time. No problem whatsoever. Well, guess what, we are both out of work, canot pay for the darn thing and cannot pay pay the maintenance either. We are being harrased and the abusive and threatening language is unreal. How stressful, like we don't have enough stress at present. we are at our wits end at what to do. Any comments????
The good news for myself is that we have finally received notice from CLC that they have accepted our surrender.
The complaint I have lodged with Resort Development Organization AISBL (was OTE) seems to have fallen into the blackhole with no response ... even following various chase emails to them but alas for them - I will not give up on the recovery of the fees we had to pay to get the surrender actioned following my note in December above.
The key is we are out of this but I am now fighting to recover the monies we had to pay or face the credit blacklist
If RDO actually do anything I will provide an update !
Does anyone have the address to write to giving notice of surrender. We have 4 addresses one in Edinburgh, one in the Isle of Man, one in London and one in Malaga. Not sure which one will be the best to ensure they can't deny receiving it.
Send a copy to each one by recorded delivery at least.That way you will know that they have received it. But after all that you need to know if anyone has read your letter. So do not hold your breath waiting for a reply.
There is discussion on the topic of surrendering CLC weeks/points on the clcmembers.co.uk website. Other owners are experiencing similar problems.
For weeks owners, CLC are now asking for 12 months notice of giving up weeks. I don't know if that applies to all of their resorts. You should check out the constitution of the resort you own at and see what it says about the resort 'taking back' weeks. Although CLC seem to be making up the rule as they go along.
CLC Vacation Club points owners are expected to give at least 28 days notice. Customer Services are suggesting that notice of 'surrender' needs to be given by 1 October before invoices are issued.
Golfer1, did you pay any transfer fees when you transferred your ownership?
i have sent an e-mail off today to ask for surrender rules.please can someone let me have addresses to write to please.mny thanks in advance.gemini1945.
SURRENDER. i surrendered my timeshare back to them ,no problems whatsoever.nothing is owing on either side.six months notice i gave.i had 11 wonderful years in it so have had my moneys worth over and over.am sorry to let go but circumstances and finances are first in my book.dont despair .it is easy when you know how.